Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Refection 2

I've heard of many stories that strangers tell me either in the train station, subway, coffee shops or at my mums work. But the ones that stick to me are the ones that my father tells me when we are out and about. That he left his home to look for a better life, don't get me wrong my father loves his parents so much, he talks to them every day on the phone. He moved from place to place just whatever seems good at the time or when his friends said lets go here. My father was one of the many grape pickers in no cal years before the whole Cesar Chavez events took place. He would tell me that about 10 people would share a three room house and they had to pay rent that was like 200 bucks a month but he and the other workers would make half if they even got paid. The working conditions weren’t that bad but they were bad, in the sun and they couldn’t take a break to refill his water jug. That he picked from grapes to apples to all the nuts there was. The one that he was afraid of was the apple since he was afraid of heights. He would say at time he would think that he was going to spend his life alone that he wasn’t going to find someone to love him, that he got in a depression for a while. After a year of working there he saved enough to pay off his debt and leave. At that time he met my mother, she was living with my father’s cousins it was in the 80s and they haven’t left each other sight since then. What I learned from this story is that you can be making a living in the most unfavorable conditions but you’ll find the person that you’re going to spend your life with. Even when things are going bad to stay strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment