Friday, October 17, 2014

Reflection 4

Long term goal: Start an urban garden and farmers market. Midterm goal: look for the site around the area where I live and talk to the other two gardens about starting a farmers market. Short goal: start researching for making an urban garden.
                                                                                                                                                                10/17/14
Dear Mindy,
                Remember the conversation we had before you left upstate about starting an urban garden in the city and starting a small famers market with the other two gardens in town. Also teaching the kids in elementary the beauty of it, like how were taught in grade school. Well it’s been a year and I’ve accomplish it. It wasn’t easy considering the hegemony of our city council and school board. The next day after talking to you I went to a couple of farmer markets and asked about how to start one what needs to be done. And they gave me a good amount of information. I went to a couple of city hall meetings to see how it’s done to make an appointment to talk to the city council, that took about a month to do. Doing to time of waiting I got all the paperwork needed for the meeting, I looked at couple of the empty lots in the city, the one that I had I mind is the one behind our grade school, next to raphes grandma houses, the one where we found the dead snake. I wanted the city to be part of it since the other two were private. So coming up with how much it would cost was a bit difficult. The day of the meeting it went quite good, since they are mostly liberals. I had a committee a signed to me and I had to report all the things I did. I set up three meetings with the two other garden leaders and they deferred it every time. When we finally had the meeting it was chaos the two leaders really dislike each other and the people in those gardens got fed up and voted them out, do you remember the twins from middle school, they supplant them and they are wonderful. When the first harvest was done we had a huge ceremony, we partner up with the grade school so we could put some of the booth in the playing ground. I’m writing to you to thank you for keeping me grounded in this project. That talk really put me in the mood to do it. Come home, I have a small area saved for you; I know how much you love artichokes.
-Breier lopez

No comments:

Post a Comment